The purpose of your school library is to help every member of your school community — students, staff, families— gain new knowledge, skills and dispositions for learning and personal development that they will use throughout their lives.
School library programs and services seek to:
- Create and develop motivating, flexible physical and digital learning spaces.
- Run independent learning programs, which integrate information resources and technologies.
- Equip students with the skills necessary to succeed in a constantly changing technological, social and economic environment.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to plan, implement and evaluate inquiry-based programs that will ensure students acquire skills to collect, critically analyse and organise information, problem-solve and communicate their findings.
- Provide and promote quality fiction to develop and sustain in students the habit and enjoyment of reading for pleasure and to enrich students’ intellectual, aesthetic, cultural and emotional growth.
- Cater for differences in learning and teaching styles through the provision of, and equality of access to, a wide range of curriculum resources – fiction and non-fiction, digital, print, audio and video.
- Provide teachers with access to relevant curriculum information and professional development materials within and outside the school; and opportunities to cooperatively plan, implement and evaluate learning programs.